Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

RCP Mig29 V4 NAMCV2 Build complete... :)

Hi everyone -

My RCP Mig29 V4 NAMCV2 build is complete... :)  Amazing what a few days of rain does to motivate you to build when you can't fly... :/


Bottom view, the black is actually just magic marker, does the trick to help with contrast and orientation, but adds no weight.


A couple of front and rear angle shots -



On the spine or electronics bay hatch, I put our NAMC patch that Stephan so skillfully designed as well as the logo from this website that has inspired so many of my Mig paint schemes http://www.mars.slupsk.pl/fort/mig/  Mariusz Wojciechowski does an absolutely amazing job at keeping this website as up to date as possible, so I thought it appropriate to show his logo on planes where I have found the inspiration from his website.


My build -
  • 6mm depron primarily with paperless dollar store foam for the KF4 airfoils.  Construction almost completely with Foam Tac glue for lightness except a tiny dab of hot glue where needed and epoxy for the motor mount and control horns;
  • control surfaces are elevons, ailerons and rudders, six servo setup using 6 nylon gear servos from RC Timer.  Rudders are tied together with a Y harness, all other servos have their own channel.  Spoilerons are available on a switch for high alpha.  Elevator travel is 2 inches or 4 inches total, with 55% expo.  Aileron travel is 5/8" or 1 and 1/4" total, expo is 70%.  Expo is higher in the aileron input to reduce over rolling with elevons and ailerons working together.  Rudder travel is full with 60% expo since they are quite big I want to be able to have a little more finesse with the rudder inputs, especially in high alpha.  Spoileron travel is 5/8" with slow up and slow down settings to prevent sudden pitch up when they are deployed.  These will be my starting setups, adjustment will more than likely take place as the plane gets dialed in;
  • power setup is the Focal Price 2700 motor, 6x3 EMP prop, Turnigy Plush 40A ESC.  I'm running a 6 channel Rx compatible with my Turnigy er9x Tx setup.  Batteries will be either 1600 Mah or 2200 Mah depending on wind conditions; and
  • total weight with a 2200 Mah battery is 590 gr/20.8 oz.
My modifications from stock (where applicable I will mention how the mods on this plane differ from the Mig29 V4 NAMCV1 that I have already flown and tested through 130 flights.
  • trailing edge of the KF4 is extended back 1/4", gives the plane a bit more stability in all realms of flight and really locks in the stability at high speed;
  • back of the prop slot is moved back 1" over stock to reduce the surface in the back and help prevent elevon polar pitch effect or tail washout in crosswind turns;
  • elevons are downsized and reshaped over stock, I would estimate a total reduction in moving surface of between 10-15%.  This makes for less drag and turbulence when the surfaces are moving and also gives me much better feel and precision when flying; 
  • ailerons are also downsized, probably to about 60% of stock.  On this plane I moved the hinge line back about 3/8" from stock and then extended the span about an inch from the NAMC V1.  Total moving surface is about the same, I am interested in experimenting with seeing if slightly larger span (the aileron is now almost 50% of stock) and thinner chord (from front to back) has much impact on how the plane handles;
  • rudders are almost vertical, the trailing edge and hinge are tilted back about 3 degrees from vertical, and the hinge line extended right up to the top of the vertical stab.  This is a big increase over stock as well as the rudder on the NAMCV1 Mig.  I'm interested to see how this style of rudders work on the Mig as they have been working very well for me on the FRC Su35 MK2 that I modified.
Overall I am very happy with how the build turned out, I guess the "rubber will hit the road" tomorrow when I get a chance to maiden (weather permitting).

I was hoping to be right around 20 oz, that was the weight where my Mig29 V3 was with a 2200 battery and that was an awesome weight for stability, speed and handling.  Of course that is a different airplane, I think in foam alone it is 1 oz lighter than the V4 Mig if memory serves me correctly (without KF4 airfoils).  

It makes me continue to think further about an idea Stephan and I have bounced around off and on since the V4s were released by RC Powers and that is building a hybrid combining the best of the V3 and V4 into a V3.5 for lack of a better name.  I think it has the potential to be a really amazing performer and what the heck, it is fun to try...that might be the next new Mig that gets built...after a couple other planes that are currently in the build queue at NAMC (Canadian division).

A walkaround and flight video will follow after the maiden flight... :)

Cheers,

Scott







10 comments:

  1. Flat out gorgeous paint scheme! I have to agree, that scheme and colors are awesome. If I only had the patience to do the "Swift" acro scheme.
    Nice tutorial and addition to Migipedia.
    Once you get 100 flights in (two days?;)) and I read your flight report I'll start to build the next NAMC mod. Still haven't had time to measure up the the SebArt for comparison. There's always room for improvement, but boy is this plane a full enveloped bird.
    Stephan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephan, I'll give the right is red thing some thought for my next plane... :) Yes, the "Swift" scheme would be awesome for sure, but a lot of masking and straight lines to well um...keep straight! Not sure I'll get 100 flights in two days, but I'll try... :) I think for the next Mig I'd like to further explore morphing the V3 and the V4, maybe meet in the middle somewhere WRT wing area, motor mount location, V3 back end, V4 style elevons but with the NAMC twist, rudders would be of personal choice depending on what we want since we have explored almost every possibility... :)

      Weather has cleared up and I hope to fly tomorrow morning, will hopefully be able to fit three Mig V4s, the stock, my NAMCV1 and this NAMCV2 into the car for the walkaround comparison anyway.

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete
  2. One more thing...
    You need to try the red is right is down on the wing. Saved my @$$ multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is light with the 2200mah. Super sey ;) can't wait to see the video. Love the stickers or are they printed and glued? Think I'll start on my mig 29 after I see your next video so I know which one you pick as the super duper mig 29 NAMC winner ;) hehe should be easy with my new 1100 dollar thoracic back brace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob, yeah, darn auto correct... :) Thanks, I am pretty happy how the paint scheme turned out. It is pretty light, I think my stock Mig29 V3 was even a bit lighter, but what the heck, the proof will be when I launch it and see how she flies... :) Yes, the decals/insignia are just paper, I find them on the internet, open them up in Word, size them and then print them off, cut them out with my exacto knife and I like to use Aleene's Original Tacky Glue that Stephan told me about to glue them on, it works really well and sticks to the painted foam better than other glues I have tried.

      It will take a while to figure out whether this NAMCV2 version is better than the NAMCV1 overall, I did modify a couple things like the bigger rudders for specific purposes, so I will probably wait til I get a few dozen flights on this new plane before making a decision. In all honesty, I love flying pretty much any Mig29, it is hands down my favorite plane in pretty much any configuration. The stock Mig 29 V4 by the plans is the best stock built plane I have ever flown, so that is definitely a good starting point... :)

      Good luck with your Mig and most importantly your back... :)

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete
  4. LOL sey was sexy. Apparently it's not a word stupid auto correct what the heck is sey? argh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Scott, you really got a nice pattern going on with your camo paint schemes. I cant wait for the next scintillating episode to see how the evolution of this Mig develops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much, Rick... :) I enjoy these camo patterns, they are fairly simple to do yet effective not only in making the plane look pretty cool, but also in allowing me to keep track of it easier in the sky. I'm excited to see how this one flies. I'm not expecting a huge difference from the V4M3e3/NAMCV1, I am confident I will definitely have a bit more rudder authority for high alpha and I am hoping it will be a tiny bit snappier with the lower wing loading and weight.

    Next up in the build queue is another modified version of the FRC Foamies Su35 MK2, then probably a highly modified version of the RCP F18 V4, so more builds to come soon, but if I need to build another Mig in between there somewhere for the sake of science and testing, then so be it... :)

    What sort of stuff are you building and flying these days, Rick?

    Cheers,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Scott,
    I haven't been flying or building as of late and recently been working on acquiring my Class A LTC for personal protection and home defense. My next build will be the Tomhe F22 and I'd like to mute the thrust vectoring with a redesigned one piece elevator along with ailerons and rudder (one servo for each). I think I mentioned this set up to you once before in place of elevons but I never actually got to try it and would like all the servos to be as close to the C/G as possible. For rudder i'm trying to decide between [Option 1] Servo centered (aka e3Scott) w/ flexi cable to each surface. or [Option 2] Servo and control rod in line linked to one surface, connected with right angle control rod to 2nd surface. I imagine both would work so its a matter of placement and which would be lighter using the least amount of material.

    Best of luck on the maiden!
    RT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rick -

      Not sure what that entails, but it sounds like it would keep you busy... :) You did mention you were going to do a Tomhe F22, sounds like fun. Are you trying to mute down the roll aspect of thrust vectoring by going with solid elevator and separate ailerons? I've never tried that setup with a park jet, but would be interested to hear your feedback on it.

      Stephan and I have been downsizing control surfaces (except rudders) on our planes and have found a few interesting benefits. Of course this is all biased by how we like to fly. I think we both like a bit more scale look and cleaner, more crisp, precise response. One of the problems we both discovered was that the large elevons/elevators were causing the back end to wash out in crosswind turns. I wrote some more detail on this subject at this link http://migsrus.blogspot.ca/2014/07/rcp-mig29-v4-m3e3-wind-trials.html

      Another issue we found and have been trying to reduce is thrust vectoring (TV) stalls where you get slow, pull on a bit too much elevator and the elevons/elevator act as speed brakes instead of elevators, causes the plane to just park itself and stall...not fun.

      I think either option you are pursuing with respect to your rudder setup would work well, I know Airflow from the RC Powers forum uses the second option on many of his planes with great success. I only used the single servo once on my workhorse F18 V3 and it has worked well, for over 300 flights in fact!

      The maiden went very well today, I put 14 batteries through the Mig29 V4 NAMCV2 in fact, more detailed walkaround video and post flight report should be posted later today or tomorrow. It flies awesome!

      Good luck with the F22, I just provided my thoughts earlier about what we have found and adjustments we have made to help our planes fly the way we want, please don't think I'm trying to tell you what to do... :/ Build it how you want to fly the way you want, that is my motto!

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete