Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, October 2, 2014

FRC Su35 MK2 NAMCV2 build complete... :)

Hi everyone -

Well I finally managed to get my Su35 MK2 NAMCV2 completed today, all ready to fly... :)


Not sure why this picture above has kind of a halo effect around the plane...maybe it means something... :)  Some more shots from different angles.







As mentioned in a previous post, the paint scheme was inspired by one I found for an Uzbekistan Air Force Su27 from 2010 from this great site http://www.mars.slupsk.pl/fort/sukhoi/  My yellow is a little brighter than the original, but that will help my old eyes keep track of it a little better I hope... :)

My build -
  • 6mm depron for main airframe, paperless dollar store foam for KF4 airfoils.  Construction about 95% with Foam Tac, with some hot glue, epoxy, Gorilla glue, 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and Alene's Original Tacky Glue as required;
  • Power setup is the Focal Price 2700 Kv motor, 6x3 EMP prop, Turnigy Plush 40A ESC, will run it most of the time with a 2200 Mah 3S battery with minimum 25C discharge;
  • Control setup is elevons, ailerons and rudders, 6 ch Hobby King receiver compatible with my Turnigy er9x transmitter, rudders connected with Y harness, all aileron and elevon servos have their own channels for best fine tuning.  No mixes for spoilerons, etc, this is not a great slow flier in my experience, so I won't be worrying about high alpha;
  • Plane completely sanded, wings, horizontal stabilizer and elevons and vertical stabilizers and rudders all sanded and shaped to have symmetrical leading edges; 
  • paint is acrylic craft paint from various sources, dollar store, Walmart, craft store; and
  • My AUW with a 2200 Mah 3S battery (which I will use in it about 99% of the time) is 607 gr/21.4 oz.  This should give me a thrust to weight ratio of about 1.7:1 which is pretty respectable.  
My modifications to stock build -
  • elevons are about 15% smaller than stock and have been split so that there is a horizontal stabilizer and then smaller moving elevons a la the RCP Mig29 V4.  Experience has shown with extensive testing with the RCP Mig29 V4 that I like the added stability this split horizontal stabilizer and elevon setup provides, less turbulence and drag than the full moving elevon from my observations. Elevons also reshaped a bit to look a bit more "scale" with the boom out the back where the drag chute would be stored on the real plane;
  • vertical stabilizers are "toed in" to create the wedge effect a la the RCP Mig29 V3 and V4, gives much better stability.  The front edge is angled inwards 3 degrees from the back edge on both sides to create the wedge;
  • ailerons are significantly reduced from stock size, about 60% of stock span and start off at the wing root with same chord, but taper out rather than flare out like on the stock plane, these are very effective, when working in concert with the elevons, very little movement required, but give very crisp, precise turns; and
  • top KF airfoil is extended forward along the leading edge extension (LERX), gives added stability and smoothness to how the plane flies.
As you may have read in previous posts, I have been filming the build at each step, so I just need to film the final part of that build video and then on to editing before posting which will probably take a day or two.  It will be a long video, I think in the neighborhood of 3 hours, but I hope it will have lots of quantity of tips, techniques, etc.  It will be laid out in a building block approach, so depending on your building skill level you will be able to pick and choose what you need/want or fast forward through what you don't need.

I did try a new technique for painting as I have been finding my paint jobs were adding a lot of weight... :(, in the neighborhood of about 40 gr/1.4 oz.  I just brush on the acrylic craft paint and depending on brand or age of the paint, it can be a bit thick.

I thinned it out with a 50/50 solution of water and rubbing alcohol, the same stuff I use to take the paper off dollar store foam.  I just kind of estimated how much to add to get the paint to the consistency of table cream.  It still seemed to hold it's color well and took about the same amount of time to dry, probably because the alcohol evaporated faster.  If I had used just water, the drying time would have probably been quite a bit longer.  Anyway, the good news is I saved about 9 grams on my paint job as the paint only added 31 gr/1.1 oz!  I was amazed at the difference and might even try thinning it a tiny bit more next time.

I'm hoping the weather gods will be with me tomorrow for a maiden flight, if not, the forecast does not look good again til next week sometime... :(.  But that will give me lots of time to edit the build video anyway... :)

Cheers,

Scott





5 comments:

  1. that's weird I tried to post something in it just vanished after I hit publish. So I guess I'll just make it brief cuz I'm tired of putting stuff in here and its not working. I'm sure its user error it seems like everytime I bump to the left or right by accident it move it to a different article. seems to happen every time I shrink and expand so I can see what I am doing it puts it on a different blog post. But great job that plane is very sexy you're bringing sexy back. Maybe the halo on the first picture is because of the extremely bright white nose.
    I heard from flight tests they use Windex to dilute their paint. Just a thought you might try.great job on the build it looks very very good I look forward to your long video hehe. that paint job is pretty sweet. Myself not been able to build planes again my back's not allowing it I'm a feel like its getting worse on the nights I get my cortisone shots and I hope this helps getting me back to building.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob -

      I did get all the posts sent to me through e-mail, two about the Deal Extreme motor and another on e-Bay and one about Blogger moving you around between blog posts. I'm not sure what to say about it moving you around in between posts, I can look at the template and see if there is anything about preventing that. I know that the format seems different whenever I look at the blog on my Android phone versus on my PC, not as much flexibility of what I can do on my phone, but I have a very old Android phone.

      Thanks very much on the feedback on the plane, yes that halo effect could very well be caused by the white nose and the lighting at the time when I took the picture.

      I know Windex is what most folks use when using acrylic paints with a spray gun, it dilutes the paint and from what I understand the detergent in the Windex also helps keep the gun from getting clogged. Most guys at my field that use spray guns use about a 60/40 mix of paint and Windex I think, makes the paint really thin, but they "mist" on several coats.

      Since I'm still pretty "low tech" with my paint schemes, I'll keep experimenting with the alcohol/water/paint ratio, I'm happy that it lightened up the plane as much as it did without washing out the colors too bad.

      The video will take a few days to get edited and processed so that it makes some semblance of sense to folks watching it. High on the quantity, not maybe so much on the professional quality, but it is my first step by step build video, so that is understandable I guess... :/

      I just looked at the motor you linked from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/321227178111 , it definitely does look exactly like the Focal Price motor and is labelled the same, interesting that it is $2 cheaper and shipping is free, looks like a good deal from what I can see, thanks for the link. It looks like that ebay vendor sells lots of different "no name" RC stuff, there are some other motors and ESCs on his site.

      I just pulled the trigger on the ebay motor, so I should have that in about 4 weeks I hope. If both it and the DX motor are the same, then it will be two other sources other than Focal Price to get that motor. By looking at the picture on the ebay site, it has the cheap motor collet, so fortunately I still have lots of those that I ordered from RC Timer.

      Focal Price still seems to be sold out of that motor, but I suspect that like Hobby King it takes a long time for certain items to get back in stock. I have seen it take months for Hobby King to get things back in stock, especially if it is not their brand name.

      Thanks again for the kind words about the plane, weather looks like I might have a break this morning to get out for a maiden flight, so if I do there will be a post flight report posted later.

      Hope your back starts to feel better very soon.

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete
  2. Wow Scott!

    If a 3 hour build video of that beautiful plane is what your planning, I'll be telling my wife we wont be going to the movies next weekend like she wanted too because we'll have something WAY better to watch here at home :) From looking at those pictures that has to be some of your finest work, and I'm really looking forward to that build video!

    I'm no expert with an air brush but also use thinned craft paint (50/50) and Windex, and spray multiple light coats with a Badger paint sprayer. Indeed it's like water but seems to work fine. If blobbing it on with the brush equals 40 grams then hopefully your onto something with the alcohol as a thinner and weight saver. I've used an air brush in the past for other projects and the single action Badger could never be confused with one. It doesn't have the same level of control and is more like a glorified spray can. You can select and thin the paint as you see fit though, and regulate the airflow from your supplied air source. They can run off small cans of compressed air (too much $), or a compressor, or I've even read people using old tire inner tube's. I use a compressor with mine and consider it to be a good option for around $20. You can buy them anywhere online or at most retail stores like Michael's, or even Walmart.

    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LX8167&P=8

    talk to you soon,
    RT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if this is what's happening to Rob or not but' I'll share something that happens to me when I come here... in case it helps? ( or in case you want a laugh)

    Usually I'm not logged into Google or the blog and visit this page via a link I have in my favorites. When I leave a comment and go to publish it Google pops up and I type in my username and PW. It then goes back to the area where I was commenting except all that I have typed is gone... lol.

    So you'd think I'd learn to log in first right? Nope, I just do what I described above then before I hit publish I copy the comment that I just typed. Then after I log back in I paste it back into the empty comment box. I know this is WAY more work and I should just log in to start with and make things easier but...?? lol

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RT -

      Do you have go have a gmail address in order to leave comments on this blog? I guess I never paid attention as I have used gmail for a long time now. I wonder if that restricts some folks from leaving comments as they don't have or don't want a gmail address? Interesting...

      Thanks for the tips on the spray gun, I'll have to have a look at it. I don't have a compressor, so that would be another outlay of $$$, but one never knows, Santa or the Birthday Fairy might bring me one, although I have Santa busy looking into a new video camera for me to film my flights as my Contour Roam doesn't seem to be hacking it anymore.

      Thanks for the kind feedback on the plane, I just finished the first dozen flights, you can read the post flight report on the blog. It already has it's first blemish from a pilot "dumb thumbs" move, but easily repairable and doesn't affect how it flies.

      I'm slowly working through the build video, taking notes of areas where I might need to put a caption where I have said something wrong or something that might be misleading. I do hope to have it done in the next few days and it will be published here on the blog with a long list of links to other good sources of build info, components, etc.

      Thanks again as always for your support and kind words.

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete